Slider

Helping My Kids Through Transitions

Thursday, July 21, 2016


Recently, I went back to work after staying home with my girls for the past 3 1/2 years. It is only a part-time job but it’s been a little bit of a rough transition for them since they had been used to having me around all the time. I wanted to do something special for them to know I still love them and think about them when I’m gone. I came up with a few things to help us used to me working again:

1. Before I go to work, I try to do something where I give them my full attention. The girls love to color, so we all get our coloring books and use “mommy’s special pencils.”


2. We read a book called The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn, it’s about a little raccoon missing his mom when he goes to school. We do special goodbye kisses based on this book and it helps keep the tears at bay sometimes. 

3. I wrote them a little book about what I do at work, and how I miss them. They loved it!


Some days they still have a hard time with me leaving, but they really appreciate when I do these little things with them and remind me if I forget! 


Is there anything special you do to help your kids when they have a rough time being away from you?

2 comments:

  1. I give smooches and hugs and we try to have something fun we do together every day beforw i go to work.
    Sometimes its building lego towers. And then kisses when i get home. We are lucky that when im not with them joel is. So they always have one of us :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is lucky! I'm glad you guys are able to do that :)

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan