Slider

Cultivating Creativity in My Kids

Tuesday, May 24, 2016


Something that is important to me as a mom is helping my girls cultivate their creativity. I want their little minds to be open to new ideas and possibilities. I want them to grow up knowing that they don't have to do things the way they have always been done. I hope to help them get that mindset by exposing them to a variety of art supplies and letting them create whatever their hearts desire. Here are some ways that I allow them to get creative by:

-Picking out their own outfit. This is one of the first ways Sawyer showed her independence. She not so quietly told me that she didn't want to wear what I picked out for her. Since that day she has been proudly wearing clashing patterns/colors, but she is loving it. This is a safe way for her to figure out what she likes and express her independence. The Girls with Glasses Show posted a video on this subject called #ToddlerStylist, check it out!

-Picking out an art project they want to do. I found this great book called The Artful Parent on clearance at Hobby Lobby for like $5! It has a lot of great tips about getting your kids into art. I let Sawyer look through it and pick out a project she wants to do. (FYI: This does not happen everyday, I’m not Super Mom!)

-Picking out an art supply. The dollar bins at Target and Michael's are great for this, and also the Dollar Tree. 

-Lastly, I let them see me create. Kids learn from example and I found that when I am enjoying myself, they want to be a part of it too. 

How do you get creative with your kids?


No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan