Slider

Mom Insecurity

Tuesday, June 21, 2016



When I became a mom, I wanted to give my child the best of everything. I wanted to do everything perfect and just the right way. Which is what I think every new mom wants to do. I read books, went to classes, and researched articles online to come up with what I thought was the best way to take care of my baby. I was feeling really good about it until I opened up Facebook and Instagram. I started to compare myself with my mom friends and I was coming up short. How could my friend’s baby be sleeping through the night at a month old and mine was still waking up too many times to count at 9 months old? What was wrong with me? What was wrong with my baby? Then as if my own thoughts of inadequacy weren’t enough, I started to get comments and questions about how I was talking care of my baby from well-meaning family, friends, and even strangers! 

Each time, the comments would shake my confidence and make me question if I was doing the right thing. Until one day (after crying about a stranger’s comment in the corner of Target), I realized that I was caring way too much about what other people thought. God made me the mother of my children for a reason, he trusts me to take care of them. Why can’t I trust myself? It’s ok if I do something differently than another mom, because God made every single person different. We will all parent differently because of how we were made and our life experiences. Let’s just give ourselves and each other a break, ok? The mom who feeds her child organic and the mom who feeds her child fast food are both loving their children. God says not to worry about what we will eat or drink (Matthew 6:25-34). In light of that, I don't think we should be worrying about what other people are feeding or giving their children to drink or judge them for it. 

We are pro-sugar. 
The only thing, LITERALLY THE ONLY THING that matters is that we love our kids. This is what the Bible says love is… “Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.” (1 Corinthians 13) This is our standard. This is how we should love our kids and also love other moms. I know we aren’t perfect, we will mess up. Believe me, I need grace every day! Let’s remember what really matters, and not get caught up in the little things. Let’s encourage each other in the most excellent way: love. 

Do you find yourself getting insecure about your parenting choices or judging what other moms do? What helps you remember what really matters?








No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan